775-453-6657 • firstname.lastname@example.org
To work as a curious and critical community journalist.
August 2010 – Present | Freelance Writer
Produced content for The Graduate Wife.com, The Daily Sparks Tribune Opinion Pages, GoingGlenn.com and SarahGlenn.net.
- My research and writing capabilities stayed sharp as various publications asked for pieces on my global experiences. As I travelled through England and the Caribbean, I remained a dedicated journalist by documenting and analyzing everything from national political struggles in developing countries to poignant feature pieces.
June 2011 – May 2012 | St. George’s University Significant Others Organization | Grenada, West Indies
President, Treasurer, Website Coordinator, Fundraising Coordinator and after-school program volunteer
- I was at the helm of an organization which helped more than 170 people see that uprooting family and career to live in a third-world foreign country could be rewarding. As the organization’s president, I managed a board of 10, oversaw local philanthropic causes, organized forums by local speakers and liaised with St. George’s University Medical School to ensure that the needs of student/faculty spouses and partners were provided for. Skills used in this position included meeting organization, creating budgets, writing web content and press releases and managing with a proficient knowledge of organizational behavior theories.
July 2007-August 2010 | The Daily Sparks Tribune | Sparks, Nev. USA
Editor, reporter, staff manager, photographer and pagination
- I coordinated daily content, reported on breaking news and wrote in-depth analytical pieces, fearless of the long hours. The average day also included updating web content, editing staff work and giving the paper a final proof and sending it to press. While hired at first as an intern, an arsenal of organizational, problem-solving, negotiation and customer service skills quickly prompted a promotion to a full-time management position. Awards listed below tell the tale of my dedication and hard work.
September 2006-May 2009 | Insight Magazine | Reno, Nev. USA
- Insight Magazine was born in the spring of 2008 under my direction. With the dedication of several fellow University of Nevada, Reno colleagues, we started a new business that still thrives today. My hiring, payroll, deadline management, staff conflict resolution, and business negotiation skills were all put to the test with outstanding results. I managed a staff of nine for the monthly publication. In this position I coordinated staff trainings, meetings and held staff to efficient work schedules. I was responsible for payroll, magazine design and fostering creativity in a fun, effective workplace.
August 2004-May 2009 | The University of Nevada, Reno | Reno, Nev. USA
Bachelor’s degree in journalism with a minor in business administration
August 2011 – June 2012 | American Council on Exercise
Personal Fitness Trainer Certification.
- Winner of five first-place awards for community news reporting through the Nevada Press Association.
- Named Journalist of Merit by the Nevada Press Association in 2010.
- Named 2009 Outstanding Journalist of the Year by the University of Nevada, Reno.
Summary of Qualifications
Abundant references available upon request.
References and Recommendations:
“Sarah is a keen, detailed writer who is adept at pursuing stories that have a direct impact on a community’s citizens. She is methodical and skilled in completing the necessary research for timely and accurate reporting, whether it’s a feature or news about local government action. Never shy to help take the reins, Sarah is also an excellent team player and a wonderful friend. I greatly enjoyed working with her at the Daily Sparks Tribune.”
~ Jessica Garcia, Reporter/education editor, Sparks Tribune August 2010
“While covering a string of Northern Nevada’s controversial topics, Sarah remains poised and professional under deadline pressure. I remember covering a university press conference in response to budget cuts with Sarah. She had a clear understanding and perspective of the magnitude such cuts would make on campus. She integrated her perspective and research with questions to the university president – then delivered this story in a clear, objective manner. Sarah has clearly been assigned to cover detailed stories that many reporters shy from due to complexity, but being a true journalist she embraces the challenge.”
~ Shelley Kudelka, NBC Morning Show Reporter/Producer, KRNV News 4 June 2010
“Sarah Cooper is an excellent reporter, who can produce well-written copy under deadline. She is thorough, creative and articulate. Sarah is also a truly nice person and would fit well into any work environment.”
~ Guy Clifton, Senior reporter, Reno Gazette-Journal May 2010
“I would highly recommend Sarah Cooper. Having read her stories in the Sparks Tribune and worked with her on an almost daily basis, I believe her reporting to be fair and unbiased, and her writing style to be interesting and engaging. Her bright and upbeat attitude towards her job brings a positive atmosphere to the workplace, even on those days when the news itself is grim. It is a pleasure working with her.”
~ David Zybert, Outside Sales, Daily Sparks Tribune May 2010
University of Nevada-Reno
“Sarah is a thoughtful, conscientious and talented reporter. She took an online journalism class from me and approached every assignment with great enthusiasm and energy. The course covered basic online journalism skills and since then I know she’s gained additional experience. It was a pleasure to have her in the class and at the journalism school.”
~ Donica Mensing, Associate Professor, University of Nevada. Reno,
taught Sarah at University of Nevada-Reno. May 2010