Read my biography and you might know why this topic is dear to my heart. Today the news was spattered with tales of food and health regulation in an effort to make us healthier.
- California turned in its roadmap for its healthcare exchanges.
- Gov. Jerry Brown’s “Let’s Get Healthy” task force on health released its suggestions.
- Who can forget about NYC’s ban on big sodas.
- Five-hour energy drinks allegedly killed a few folks.
- And *gasp* France is taxing Nutella because people like it and it is unhealthy.
After reading these headlines I started in on some social media consulting work for a ergonomics and injury prevention company. These people want to shift the corporate conversation away from heath care coverage to workplace injury prevention. I can’t help but buy into this.
Government regulation won’t do it. I mean, we saw how well that worked with prohibition. If people want a cookie and an Super Coke, they will find a way to get one. Maybe though it is time to take some personal responibility for our health.
What a novel idea …